Friday, June 16, 2017

OIL CHANGE THERAPY


I was having a busy errand day, and one of my stops was an oil change for my car. The sign in front of the garage promised it would take only twenty minutes, and I was counting on them to keep that promise as I handed my keys to the mechanic.
I went into the tiny waiting room and noticed another woman sitting next to the magazine table. We did the customary smile-and-nod to one another before I found a magazine I wanted and sat down to catch up on which movie star was breaking up with whom.
I'd only been there for a few minutes when the waiting room door opened and a gentleman walked in, sat down and asked, “Do either of your ladies watch Dr. Phil?”
I peeked over my magazine to see which of us he was talking to. Luckily it was the other woman, so I brought my magazine back up to cover my face.
“I watch him every once in a while.” she admitted.
“Well, he's the reason my girlfriend broke up with me.” he complained as he moved a chair closer to his new confidant.
“Oh, I'm sorry.” she answered.
Now I have to admit their conversation was more entertaining then the three month old magazine I was holding, so I continued to eavesdrop, my eyes peeked over the top of my magazine.
“Why do you think Dr. Phil had anything to do with it?” she asked.
“Because she watches that show every day and whatever he says, she does.” he shook his head sadly. “He must have been talking about the kind of relationship we had because she broke up with me that very night.”
“Maybe it wasn't about Dr. Phil.” she sounded as if she wanted to help him.
“So you think it was something I said?” He sounded confused. “Because I'm not a real big talker, so how could I say anything that would have upset her?”
I was still peeking over my magazine and could see him shaking his head disgust. “Man, I hate that Dr. Phil guy.”
He looked my way and noticed I was peeking over at him. “Would you let some guy on the television tell you what to do?” he asked me.
I looked over at the other woman hoping for some help, but she was looking at the mechanic who had come into the waiting room holding her keys.
“Your car is ready.” he said, handing her the bill.
She gave a sigh of relief as she grabbed the bill out of his hand and ran to pay the cashier, leaving me alone with In-Need-Of-Therapy-Man.
“So would you?” he asked again.
“I'm sorry,” I looked back at him. “Would I what?”
“Would you let some guy on the T.V tell you what to do?”
“Well, no.” I put my magazine down. “I'd make up my own mind. But I really don't know what your girlfriend would do.”
“EX!” he said a bit too loudly.
“I'm sorry. I meant to say your ex.”
“I thought all you girls listened to Dr. Phil.” he shook his head again. “Or do you watch some other stupid talk show instead?”

I was beginning to see why his girlfriend broke up with him as I longingly looked at the waiting room door, wishing the mechanic would come in and save me too.

26 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Amrita I appreciate you reading them!

      Delete
  2. Wow , I would of pray for the mechanic or someone else to walk in.lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I was Nana, I was! Thanks so much for reading!

      Delete
  3. haha really good liked to read it ..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good read! Rather engaging and easy to relate to. You wrote in a way that I could see myself there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting. I like your style...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pharm! I appreciate you reading my pieces!

      Delete
  6. Love quirky little moments like these. Great stories - for blogs and dinner parties!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do love quirky moments like these too! Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I hope you come back to read more!

      Delete
  8. Great read, though I'm not so interested in machines, I found this article really engaging.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hah this was fun to read :D really nice writing :) keep it up. I really liked it

    ReplyDelete
  10. Funny story.Love your writing style so nice and unique.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Omg, this post literally reminded me of how I need to change my oil LOL what a coincidence. But your post was fun to read too! http://www.clairebearblogs.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Claire! Now go make that appointment😉

      Delete
  12. Some great post. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really enjoyable to read! well done

    Sophia xo // sophiaaaxo.com

    ReplyDelete