Friday, May 12, 2017

MOTHER'S DAY MAGIC

I didn't feel like cooking dinner, and it was only going to be Alex and me eating. So I picked up a sub sandwich on my way home from work.
I came into the house and dropped the sub shop bag on the dining room table. Alex came over with two plates and some napkins.
“You're the best.” I said as he put a plate in front of me.
Alex laughed. “I'm the best because I gave you a plate?”
I had to laugh. “I guess that's was a little over the top.” I handed him his half of the sub. “So I'll say thanks instead.”
We both sat down and began eating in happy silence, both unwinding from a long day. After a few bites I put my sub down. “Do you have any plans for this weekend?” I asked as I shook a few potato chips from the bag and passed it to him.
He looked confused for a moment. “Isn't Mother's Day this weekend?”
I smiled. “It is!”
I have to say, ever since I've had kids I've loved Mother's Day. It's the one day I don't feel guilty not cooking, cleaning, doing laundry or running errands for everyone. I can sit on the couch reading a book or watching television and no one is going to say a word about it. Believe me, the only other time that happens, guilt free, is when I have the flu. Not a cold, mind you, because technically I can still function with a cold. It has to be the flu, where no one wants me around them so I can hide in my room and read my book or watch television. But sadly it's the flu, so it's not like I'm having fun.
But Mother's Day, yeah!
“So what do you want to do?” Alex asked.
“Well I'm hoping the weather's good and we can do our usual picnic in the park.” I said.
Alex got up and went over to the cabinet. “You want a water while I'm up?” he asked.
“Oh, you're the best!” I had to smile. “Yes, please!”
He just shook his head and laughed as he handed me a bottle. “Wow, I'm the best again.”
“Hey,” I shrugged my shoulders. “What can I say, I'm just excited about Sunday where I'm not going to have to do anything but relax.” I looked down at my plate and pointed to the rest of my sub. “I don't think I can finish the other half of this.”
Alex looked at his. “Me either.” He got up and got two zip lock bags and handed me one. “Aren't you going to say, 'Who's the best?' or your other favorite 'Who's the man?” He laughed as he put his leftovers in his bag.
“You're just lucky I'm so easy to please.” I said as I put the rest of my sub in my bag.
“Are you?” he took the bag from me and went to put them both in the refrigerator. “So if I just made you a macaroni card for Mother's Day you'd be fine with that?”
“Oh my gosh, I would!” I cried. “It would remind me of all the little handmade things you made me when you were younger!” I began thinking of all the little trinkets I had in a box in the closet. “Remember the puzzle piece pin you made me and the clay heart necklace?” I had to smile just thinking about them.
I looked back at Alex who was leaning in front of the refrigerator, his arms crossed looking at me. “So you're saying you'd really be okay if I just made you macaroni card?”
I thought about it for a second. “No, probably not.” I admitted as I got up to put our plates in the dishwasher.
“That's what I thought.” he smiled as he headed back to his room.
“But that doesn't mean I'm still not really easy to please!” I called after him.

I'm not sure but I think I heard a faint laugh coming from his room.

1 comment: