Friday, May 19, 2017

HOT OR COLD?

This was the beginning of the week! We are now in a heat wave!!!

It was after dinner and Alex and I wanted to get in a walk before it got too dark.
“I have my keys.” I opened the front door. “Do you have your phone?”
“Got it.” he said walking out of his room zipping up his heavy hooded sweatshirt. He stepped outside and was ready to close the door.
“Do you really think it's that cold out?” I said second guessing my light jacket.
“I think so.” He held the door open. “Do you want to go back in and get something heavier?”
“Naw.” I said heading down the front steps. “They say you burn more calories when you're cold.”
“Who's they?” Alex asked catching up to me.
“You know, experts.” I said rubbing my arms to keep warm.
“I think you might be wrong about that.” Alex put his hands in his pockets to keep them warm.
“No, I'm not.” I argued. “I can feel myself burning more calories as we speak!”
“Okay, you can believe what you want.” I could hear the doubt in his voice.
“I can prove it!” I stopped and held out my hand. “Give me your phone, we'll Google it!”
“Are you sure you want to do this right now?” Alex asked handing me his phone.
“Why wouldn't I?” I found the Google app and tapped on it.
“Because, right now you don't mind being cold because you think you're burning more calories but when you find out it's not true then you're just cold.”
“I'm not wrong.” I began tapping on the keys. “I'll just type, 'Do you burn more calories when it's cold'.” I hit send, waiting for the right links to come up. It didn't take long. “Oh, Damn!”
Alex started to laugh. “I told you not to look it up right now.”
“It says you may feel like your body is working harder to keep you warm but you don't start burning extra calories until you start to shiver.” I clicked off his phone and handed it back to him. “That's just great.” I sighed and began walking faster rubbing my arms, trying to get warm.
“Sorry.” Alex was walking next to me.
We were walking on the shady side of the street. “Maybe if we walk in the sun I'll feel better.”
We crossed the street and walked a little further. “Nope, not any better.” I complained. Now I was sorry I'd put my hair up in a ponytail because my ears were starting to get cold. “Well, it did say if I start to shiver then the extra calories start to burn.”
Alex looked over at me. “It's 52 degrees out, I'm pretty sure you're not going to start to shiver anytime soon.”
I marched on, feeling cold.
A few moment later Alex began to unzip his heavy sweatshirt. “Wow, maybe I did over dress.” I looked over and could see the sweat on his shirt.
“You're sweating!” I cried.
“Hey, this sweatshirt's really heavy.” he complained.
“I hate Google.” I grumbled.
Alex started to laugh. “You love Google!”

“Fine.” I huffed. “I hate Google today!”

No comments:

Post a Comment