Friday, March 10, 2017

FEELING OFF-CENTER

I was standing in the dining room, staring out the window when Steven walked into the room. “You okay?” he asked.
“Not really.” I admitted.
“What's wrong?” Steven sounded concerned.
“I just not feeling very with it.” I sighed and leaned my arms against the window sash. “I should really be making a list for the grocery store but I'm just not up to it.”
“Are you coming down with something?”
“Nope, I'm just feeling a little off-center.” I looked over at him. “You know how I usually know exactly what I'm making for dinner for the next five days?”
“Yeah!” Steven smiled. “I love that about you.”
“Well...it's not happening this week. I'm not even sure what I'm making for dinner tonight much less five days from now.” I turned around a pulled out a dining room chair, sat down and leaned my head back against the chair. “I just feel blah.”
Steven placed his hand on my forehead. “You don't feel like you have a fever.”
“I'm telling you I'm not sick, I just can't seem to get moving. I'm usually so organized. By this time of the day I should have a load of laundry in the washer and the dishwasher unloaded and reloaded.” I sighed as I just sat there. “Instead I feel like I wouldn't be able to find my shoes much less the car keys.”
Steven looked down at my feet. “You're wearing your shoes.”
I laughed. “I was exaggerating to make a point.”
“Do you want me to make you a cup of tea?” Steven went over to put some water in the kettle.
“I'm not sure it's a caffeine thing.” I shook my head. “I just feel like I'm in a brain fog. I can't focus, I'm forgetful and I'm always tired.”
“Maybe it's a hormonal thing.” he suggested.
I looked over at him.
“Well, you know at your age your hormones start to act up...”
I'm sure the look on my face stopped him in mid-sentence. “You're really not about to tell me about my hormones are you?”
It was just then that Alex walked into the kitchen. He looked into the dining room. “Hey, morning!” he called. “What are you guys up to?”
“Your Dad was just about to explain to me why my hormones are making me feel so unproductive.”
Alex didn't say a word. He just reached into the cabinet, grabbed a granola bar, and slowly backed out of the kitchen.
Steven's smiled at me as he held up the kettle. “How about I make some tea for both of us and we make the shopping list together?”
I just looked at him.
“Or...” he put the kettle down and came over to sit next to me. “We could order out tonight and you could skip the grocery shopping.”

I smiled, I was beginning to feel better already.

No comments:

Post a Comment