Friday, February 24, 2017

SPRING HAS SPRUNG?

Alex and I headed out the front door for a walk around the neighborhood, “Can you believe it's only February and we're wearing sweatshirts?” I was thrilled to have my winter coat hanging in the closet while we went for our walk.
“It is nice.” Alex agreed as he stopped to retie his sneaker.
I looked over at the side of our house. “Oh my gosh! Look!” I cried as I pointed to leaves popping through the soil. “The daffodils are already coming up!” I had to go over to take a closer look.
Kneeling down I moved a few forgotten fall leaves away from them. “I'm loving this! Aren't you?” I looked over at Alex waiting for him to share the same excitement that I was feeling.
Alex shrugged his shoulders. “I guess it's nice.”
“You guess?” I got up and we headed out for our walk. The sun was shining and the birds were calling to one another when I looked up in the trees. “I'm not seeing any buds on the trees yet.”
“That's because it February.” Alex reminded me.
“I know, but it feels like spring!” I felt like doing a happy dance, but I held back so I wouldn't embarrass Alex.
“We could still get a snowstorm you know.” Alex reminded me.
I wanted to put both hands over my ears and chant “LA, LA, LA!” to stop from hearing his horrible words but I decided to take the mature way of stopping him. “Why aren't you enjoying this day as much as I am?”
“I am enjoying today!” Alex countered. “But I also realize we're still in winter and the weather is going to change.”
“But it might not.” I argued. We'd stopped at the corner and were waiting for a car to pass before we could cross the street. As the car passed we could hear to music blaring from it's open windows. “See,” I looked over at Alex pointing at the car. “I'm in such a good mood that even though that's not my favorite type of music I'm still thrilled to hear it because that's another sign of spring!”
Alex just laughed as we crossed the street and continued our walk.
“More daffodils.” I pointed to a bunch peeking out from under a bush.
“Uh-huh.”
A few feet later, “There's some more!” I cried looking over at Alex who nodded in agreement.
I was busy looking for more signs of spring when I noticed a small pile of dirty snow in the shady section of someone's driveway. “Oh man...do you know how badly I want to go over there and stomp that snow pile to mush?”
Alex looked over at the snow I was pointing to. “I know, I kicked the leftover snow from our deck this morning.”
“You did?” I looked over at him and smiled.
“Sure. I'm tired of looking at the snow too.”
“So, you're just as ready for Spring to start as I am!”
“I am, but I'll say it again.” Alex looked over at me with a serious look on his face. “It's only February and weather changes.”

Now I had to do it, I covered my ears with the palms of my hands and chanted, “LA, LA, LA, LA, LA!”

1 comment: