Friday, October 14, 2016

IS THIS A DREAM

I was hurrying out of the bedroom to get my morning cup of tea. “I overslept!” I cried as I passed Steven in the kitchen and grabbed the kettle from the stove.
“Oh, I thought you were just sleeping in.” he said as he moved out of the way so I could get to the sink to fill the kettle. “Did you forget to set your alarm?”
“No it was set.” I put the kettle on and hoped watching it would make it come to a boil faster.
“So what happened?” he handed me my favorite mug.
“Well, I was in the middle of this dream...” I put a tea bag into the mug.
“Oh, and you didn't want it to end?” he nodded, “I've done that.”
“No, that's not what happened.” I went back to watching the kettle. “I was in a car with a few friends.”
“Who?”
I looked back at him and shook my head. “I don't know who they were.”
“So how do you know they were friends?”
“I don't know.” I shrugged my shoulders. “I just knew they were.”
“Okay so...” he leaned back against the counter.
“So every time one of my friends tried to tell us a story this annoying guy sitting in the back would have his phone alarm go off.”
“Who was the guy?”
“I don't know.”
“What was he doing in the car with you?”
“I don't know, he was there to be annoying I guess.”
“Just because his phone alarm went off?”
“Well, it wasn't just one time, it was over and over again.” I explained annoyed that the water hadn't come to a boil yet. “Every time my friend would start her story the alarm would go off again.”
Steven's phone started to ring. He took it out of his pocket, looked at the number. “I'm sorry, I have to get this.”
While he had a quick conversation I stared at my kettle and looked at the clock wondering just how late I was going to be today.
When he was done with his conversation he looked back at me. “Sorry about that. So you were saying you didn't know who the guy in the back seat was?”
“No, but that doesn't really matter.” The water had finally boiled and I poured it in the mug. “The reason his phone kept going off...”
Steven's phone rang again and he, once again, looked at the number. “I'm sorry, this is work, I'm going to have to take this one too.”
I watched my tea steep as he finished up his conversation, hung up and looked back at me. “Sorry about that, so what were you saying?”
“I was telling you about my dream.” I reminded him.
“Right, right.” he leaned back against the counter. “So some guy you didn't know was sitting in the back seat and his phone kept going off.”
“Right, so...”
Steven's phone rang again. “Sorry about this. We just started a new job and everyone has questions.”
I threw my tea bag in the trash and headed for our bedroom to get ready for work.
Steven came in a moment later. “Sorry about that. So you were saying?”
I was pulling clothes out of the closet and laying them on the bed. “Well, I was getting annoyed every time this guys phone rang, but then I realized what I was hearing was my own alarm ringing! It had been going off for about fifteen minutes!”
“I've had that happen to me before. It's just funny that you made it a guy in a carload of your girlfriends.” his phone rang again. He looked at the number. “Sorry I have to get this.”

I had to smile as he walked away.

No comments:

Post a Comment