Friday, July 1, 2016

UNICORNS AND RAINBOWS

I was in the kitchen unloading the dishwasher when Alex came in and asked. “Why is it so hot in here?”
I stopped for a moment, “You know, now that you mention it, it is kind of warm in here.” I put the last glass away than took out the silverware basket. “The air conditioning is on, I can hear it. Can you go check the thermostat and see what it’s set for?”
Alex went into the hallway. “It's set for 72.” he called. “But it says it's 78 in here now.”
“Oh no.” I picked up my phone and called my husband Steven. “There's something wrong with the air conditioning unit.” I said as soon as he picked up.
“I'll have someone there by this afternoon.” he said.
I had to smile as I hung up the phone. “It's always nice to be married to a contractor.” I said to Alex as I began putting the silverware away. “Dad said he'll have someone here this afternoon.”
“Great.” Alex called as he headed back to his room to get some work done.
Two hours later the heating and cooling guy arrived with Steven pulling his truck in right behind him. The two of them walked into the house said a quick hello to me and went right to work.
I really wasn't really paying much attention to what was going on as the attic stairs were pulled down and the repairman climbed up. I could hear them calling instructions to each other and I watched as Steven moved from vent to vent checking filters.
Twenty minutes later the repairman climbed down and the two of them stood in the hallway talking.
I wasn't sure how much time had passed before Steven came into the living room where I was working and sat down. “Bill's a great guy and he likes talking about the science of heating and air conditioning as much as I do.”
“That's nice.” I said, never really looking up from my laptop. “Did he fix the air conditioning?”
When Steven didn't answer, I stopped typing and looked up from my work. Steven was just staring at me.
“What?” I asked, wondering what the problem was.
“Didn't you hear the conversation Bill and I just had? We were talking to you, too. You even said “Sure” a couple of times.”
“Really?” I shrugged my shoulders. “I guess I wasn't really paying attention.”
“But we were talking about some really interesting things.” Steven persisted.
“The science of heating and air conditioning...are you kidding?” I started to laugh.
“Oh sure, when I talk about things that interest me you're all wide-eyed and thinking, LA,LA,LA,LA, LA!” he said in a sing-song voice while he was bobbing his head back and forth.
“Hey!” I said, feeling a little annoyed. “Just because I'm not interested in talking about the science of heating and air conditioning doesn't mean I'm sitting around all day thinking about unicorns and rainbows!” I cried.
Steven stopped and looked at me. “Unicorns and rainbows?” he had a surprised look on his face.

“Wow...” I shook my head, disappointed in myself. “I can't believe I just said that either.”

No comments:

Post a Comment