Saturday, May 14, 2016

TECH SUPPORT

“ALEX!” I screamed. “HELP! THERE'S SOMETHING WRONG WITH MY COMPUTER!”
Alex came into my office, took one look at my gray screen with two white lines going through it and said, “I've never seen that before.”
“What?” I could feel my heart pounding in my chest. “What's wrong with it?”
“What did you do?” he asked.
“Nothing, I swear!” I felt like a little kid denying that I'd just taken two cookies out of the cabinet before dinner. “At least I don't think I did anything.”
Alex leaned over me hitting a bunch of keys. I could see a look of concern on his face.
“I was typing up an article and I went to the kitchen to get something to drink and when I came back it looked like this.” I explained.
Just than the screen went magically back to the words that I'd been typing only minutes before.
“Oh, my gosh! Thank you!” I gave him a big hug. “What did you do?”
Alex shrugged his shoulders. “I just hit the escape key a few times. It's really no big deal.”
“Maybe not for you. But you know how bad I am with computers.”
Alex had to laugh. “Yeah, everyone in the house knows how bad you are with computers.”
“What am I going to do when you decide you want to move out on your own?” I cried.
“You can always ask Dad or Max.” he said.
“I can't ask Max because he likes playing tricks on me when he gets into my computer. Remember the time he changed my screensaver to a Sumo wrestler? Whatever he did froze the whole computer.” I complained. “It took you over an hour to fix it for me.”
Alex laughed again. “You have to admit, it was a pretty funny picture..” he said. “So why don't you just ask Dad?”
“I already do.” I admitted. “Believe it or not I only ask you half the time I have a problem. I was hoping by splitting it up between the two of you nobody would notice just how bad I really am at this thing.”
Alex looked surprised. “You only ask me half the time?”
I nodded my head, feeling a bit ashamed of myself. “So that's why you can never move out.” I stated.
Alex just shook his head. “Have you ever thought about taking a class so you can learn to fix the problems yourself?” he asked.
That made me look up at him in surprise. “Are you trying to tell me I should learn to be a little more self-sufficient?” I cried.
Alex shrugged his shoulders. “Isn't that what you tell us all the time?” he headed back to his bedroom.

I can't even begin to explain how much I hate when my own words come back to haunt me.

No comments:

Post a Comment