Friday, January 22, 2016

SNOW INCHES

Steven, Alex and I were sitting in our living room watching a movie. I got up from the couch and hadn't even taken a step when both of them said in unison. “Are you getting something to eat?”
“We just finished dinner ten minutes ago!” I said as I moved over to the window to look out in our backyard. “I'm checking to see how hard it's snowing out.” I didn't even have to switch on the outside light to see that it was coming down. “I wonder how many inches this one's going to be?” I asked.
Steven put the movie on pause and switched over to the weather channel. “It's still saying over twelve inches by the end of tomorrow night.” he said before changing back to the movie.
I turned around to look at them. Both of them had their feet up on the coffee table, their heads on pillows and comforters wrapped around them. “I wasn't talking about inches of snow.” I complained. “I'm talking about inches around my waist!”
Alex looked over at me. “You promised me you'd make brownies tomorrow.” he said. “Are you trying to back out of that?”
“No.” I sighed.
“You also promised me you'd make French toast for breakfast.” Alex added.
“I know.” I could already feel the extra inches on my hips and I hadn't even started my-stuck-in-the-house-eating.
“You're still making the pot of chili for tomorrow nights dinner, aren't you?” Steven asked. “I was looking forward to that.”
“Listen to us!” I cried. “All we talk about is food!”
“What else is there to do?” Steven asked.
“I don't know, maybe we could all take a walk in the snow?” I suggested. “Build a snowman, maybe take up a winter sport?”
Steven and Alex turned around to stare at me. “It's going to be a blizzard.” Steven said.
“Besides.” Alex added then started to laugh. “You hate the snow!”
“I don't hate it.” I corrected him. “I don't mind looking at it through the window.”
“Even when the kids were little you wouldn't go out in it.” Steven reminded me. “You'd send me out to fight the snow battles and build the snow forts.”
“Yeah, you'd wave to us from the kitchen window!” Alex said.
“I didn't have time to go outside and play.” I argued. “I was too busy in the kitchen baking cookies and getting the hot chocolate ready for when you guys came in!”
“Oh...” Alex said. “That reminds me. Do we have any hot chocolate?”
“I'm sure there's some in the pantry.”
“Can you make us some?” he asked. “We'll stop the movie until you get back.”
Steven had already hit the pause button again.
“I suppose I could make some.” I said as I headed for the kitchen.
“Is there any more coffee cake left?” Alex called to me.
“Yes.” I said.
“I'll have some of that too!” he called back.
“Me too!” Steven said.

As I loaded another try with food I was beginning to wonder if maybe I should just trade my jeans in for a pair of sweat pants...at least until the snow stops.

No comments:

Post a Comment