Saturday, December 26, 2015

TRAVELING TREE

The holiday rush was behind me and I was finally getting a chance to sit back and enjoy my tree. As I looked at all the different decorations hanging from it's branches, I couldn't help but notice my vacation ornaments. We'd been so busy the last few years, with one away at school and the rest of us busy working, we weren't traveling as much as we used to.
I pulled one of my favorite ones off the tree. I held it up so my husband Steven, who was sitting on the couch reading the newspaper, could see it. “Do you remember when Alex had to have a real cowboy hat?” I asked him as I showed him the cactus wearing a Santa hat with the word “Arizona” written across it.
Steven looked over and smiled. “I think he still has it in his room.”
“I hope so. I loved him in that hat!” It was the first time the boys or I had ever been out west and we'd all fallen in love with the desert. I hung the ornament back on the tree and began looking at all the others.
“How many times did we take the boys to Florida?” I asked as I gently touched the Disney Mickey waving his magic wand.
“A few.” Seven said as he turned the page of his newspaper.
I looked at several more Disney ornaments. “I guess I must have picked up a few of these on each of the trips.” I said as I noticed more than just a few Disney decorations.
I looked over at the miniature lobster pot from our trip to Maine. “Remember the boat ride for the whale watch?” I asked.
“How could I forget?” Steven said, then laughed. “When you found out we'd have to ride out a few miles to see them, you asked the Captain if there was some way he could get the whales to come closer to shore so we didn't have to go out so far!”
“I was kidding!”
“No you weren't.”
“Alright.” I admitted. “I wasn't. But we were out so far you couldn't see the shore! You know how much I hate being that far out in the ocean.”
“Oh I know, and so did the entire boatload of whale watchers.” Steven said.
“But then we saw three or maybe it was four whales that day.” I smiled at the memory. “They were so beautiful.”
I looked at the sand dollar from our trip to the Outer Banks next to the pewter ornament of the Capital building in Washington. “I can't believe we timed that trip right when the cherry trees were in full bloom!”
“They boys like that trip.”
“They liked all our trips.” I said as my eyes fell on the little black buggy from our trip to the Amish Country. “Well, maybe not this one.” I held the buggy up for him to see.
“Yeah, making the boys stay at a diary farm and having them get up to milk the cows wasn't so much fun for any of us.” he said.
“I thought they might like to see what it was like to live on a working farm.”
“They found out that neither of them would ever want to do that for a living.” Steven said, then laughed.
“So it was a good thing!”
I hung it back on a branch then stood back and looked at all our other travel ornaments. “You know there's still some room on this tree for a few more trip ornaments.” I said.
Just then both boys walked into the room.
“Are we planning a trip?” Alex asked.
“That sounds like a great idea!” Max said.
Steven looked at me. “That sure was a subtle hint.”

I shrugged my shoulders. I really hadn't planned it that way but...I had to smile as I began thinking about where our next destination could be.

No comments:

Post a Comment