Sunday, November 8, 2015

TA-DA TREE

It was a beautiful fall afternoon, the sun was at it's peak and I was once again admiring all the color in my backyard.
My husband, Steven walked in the room and stood next to me. “What are you looking at?” he asked.
“The trees are so pretty this year.” I said, sipping my cup of tea. “But my favorite one is our tada tree!”
Steven looked confused. “Tada tree?”
I pointed to the little tree on the side of our yard. “All our other sassafras trees turn yellow and a few turn orange. But that little guy is the only one that turns a brilliant red! I just love it!” I gushed. “I'm so glad we decided not to cut him down.”
When we first moved into this house, two summers ago, we were in the back yard with our tree guy trying to decide which trees should stay and which ones needed to go. When we got to the tada tree it seemed a given that it would be taken out. It was small, crooked and a little too close to the fence. But something about the tree, maybe because it had so many reasons why it should have come down, became the very reason I felt it needed to be saved. “That one stays.” I said.
I remember how surprised and our tree guy was. “Really? Are you sure? Your yard is full of sassafras trees and that one doesn't look like it's in very good shape.”
“I like it.” I said, shrugging my shoulders. “It reminds me of Charlie Brown's Christmas tree.”
Now Steven looked confused. “What?”
I shrugged my shoulders again. “Someone just needs to show it some love.”
Steven just sighed and shook his head, then moved on the the next tree and it's fate.
I smiled, oddly happy that my strange little tree was staying.
Now Steven and I were standing at the window admiring it's brilliant color. “I feel like every fall that tree is thanking us for keeping it.” I looked at Steven and smiled. “It's saying “TA-DA!” with that burst of red. Reminding us what we almost gave up.”
“Is that what it's saying?” Steven asked.
“I'm serious.” I said as I bumped him gently with my hip. “Sometimes you just have to follow your feeling.” I explained. “Clearly I was getting a good feeling from that tree, it needed to stay, and now it's thanking us in the only way it knows how.”
“So are you getting any special feelings for that dead pine?” Steven asked as he pointed to the pine right behind the bird feeder. “I was planning on having the tree guys back to take it down.” Steven started to laugh. “I just wanted to make sure you weren't getting a vibe that maybe it should stay.”
“Laugh all you want.” I cried. “But I also fought for the lilac bush you and the tree guy thought should go.” I placed my tea cup in the sink then looked back at Steven. “Remember how beautiful it was this spring?”

Steven nodded in agreement then shrugged his shoulders. “It was nice.” he admitted.

No comments:

Post a Comment