Sunday, November 15, 2015

SPEAK UP

It was early morning and I was enjoying a cup of tea as I looked out my kitchen window and watched a gust of wind swirl a pile of leaves up into the air. They reminded me of a flock of starlings taking flight. Those swirling leaves also made me realize winter was coming. I pulled my robe closer around my neck as my husband, Steven came into the room.
“Good morning.” he said, as he grabbed a cup from the cabinet.
I pointed out the window, ready to show him the wind blown leaves, but when I opened my mouth to speak only a squeak came out.
Steven quickly looked over at me, “Are you sick?” he asked.
I cleared my throat, ready to tell him I felt fine. But when I went to speak again, still nothing came out but an odd sound.
I sighed as I put my cup on the counter and shook my head no. But that wasn't completely true. I had laryngitis. I didn't feel sick. No fever, no sore throat but losing my voice was something I'd had happen to me many times before.
“You're sick.” Steven stated as he slowly stepped away from me. “Are you staying home today?”
That was hard to decide. If history repeated itself, my voice would be gone for days. Did I really want to miss that much time at work? I looked at Steven as I shrugged my shoulders, then opened my mouth to give my answer, only to have my squeak come out.
“I have no idea what you just said.” Steven said. “Just shake your head yes or no.”
That's when Alex came into the room, “What's wrong with Mom?” he asked.
“She's sick.” Steven said.
I watched as Alex back away from me, “What's wrong with her?”
That's when my other son, Max walked into the kitchen. “Something's wrong with Mom?”
Alex wasn't sure there was enough distance between us so he backed up some more. “She's sick.” he said.
“What's she got?” Max asked.
“Why is everyone talking like I'm not here!” I yelled, but what came out was a bunch of tiny noises.
“What's that girl?” Max said with a laugh. “Timmy's in the well?”
Now all three of them were laughing and I was feeling like I had the plague.
“She's got laryngitis.” Steven answered for me.
“Is she contagious?” Alex wanted to know.
“She's got something.” Max answered. “I'd stay away from her.”
I was looking from one of them to the other wondering, once again, how I got into a household full of guys that made me feel like the den mother to a frat house.
“I'm still standing here!” I croaked.
“Did anyone understand what she just said?” Alex asked, then laughed.
“Nope.” Max said, then looked at his Dad who also shook his head, “Not a clue.” Steven answered.
They were all still laughing as I stomped off, frustrated.
“Do you think we pushed her too hard?” I could hear Alex ask Max and Steven as I went down the hall.
“I'm pretty sure we're on our own for dinner tonight.” Steven answered.
Now it was time for me to smile.
I was staying home from work, when I really didn't feel sick. I'd spend the day curled up on the couch, watching television and napping. Then someone was going to bring me dinner to my door.

It sounded like a perfect day for me, except for the fact that I couldn't tell anyone about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment