Sunday, October 25, 2015

DO YOU SMELL THAT?

I was on a road trip with my sister Donna. We'd just gotten into the car when she asked, “Did you step in something?”
I quickly checked the bottom of my shoes. “No why?”
“You don't smell that?”
“I don't smell anything.”
Donna shook her head sadly, “My nose is just so sensitive.” she said. As we drove out of her neighborhood we saw a man walking his dog, they were stopped on someone's lawn. “Now I know where that smell came from.” she said with disgust.
We continued on our trip. About twenty minutes later we were on the Thruway. “Do you smell macadam?” she asked.
“Macadam?” I took a deep breath in through my nose. “Nope! I don't smell a thing.”
Seconds later we were passing a crew of trucks paving one of the the lanes. “Wow!” I said. “I smell it now!”
Donna just shrugged her shoulders. “It's a curse having this nose.” she said. “Now all I can smell are oak leaves.”
“Well it's fall and we're on a leaf peeking trip so I'm not that impressed with that.” I said. “But how can you just smell oak leaves?” I asked.
She turned to look at me, tears streaming down her face. “Because I'm allergic to oak leaves.” She pointed to the box of tissues in the back seat. “Can you grab me one?” she asked. “I’m having a hard time with my allergy’s this year.”
I handed her some tissues and watched as she mopped her cheeks.
By now we'd reached out first destination, a farmer's market.
As soon as we opened the car doors, Donna was overwhelmed. “Wow, do you smell the pickles?”
I took a deep breath and exhaled slowly, “Nope. I don't smell anything.”
“It's a curse I tell you.” She said as we started to look at the different booths.
Sure enough there was a pickle booth. As I got closer I could smell the garlic pickles. “Oh my gosh, they smell so good.” I said. “I think I'll get a jar.”
By now Donna's nose had moved on. “Someone's selling lavender.” She said.
“Wow! It's like walking with a Bloodhound.” I said. Then changed my tone as if I were talking to a puppy. “Which way to the lavender, girl?”
“Very funny.” Donna cried but then pointed behind us, “It's that way.” she said sadly.
We got the the lavender booth and I was trying to choose between a satchel or the oil. Inhaling both I couldn't decide. “Which on do you like?” I asked my sister, handing her both to smell.
She held both up to her nose. “I'm sorry.” she whispered to me. “But now I'm smelling lavender and fish.”
“Ewww.” I cried, but backed into the isle to look at the other booths. Sure enough someone was selling fish a few booths down. “You're right again.” I said.
“It's a curse.” she said again.
By now we'd finished our shopping and were headed back to the car. “Alright, now I'm smelling oranges.” she said.
I looked around, but no one was selling citrus. “Sorry, you're wrong this time.” And had to smile. “It's apple season! No one is selling oranges!”
She pointed over to a little boy sitting at a table eating a bagged lunch. I looked over as the Mom was peeling an orange for him. “It's a curse.” she said again.
As we put our bags in the car and climbed in I closed my door and was ready to put on my seat belt Donna asked again. “Are you sure...
But I cut her off. “If you ask me to check my shoes again I swear...” I left the threat hanging. “Maybe you should check your shoes.”
Just then we both saw the dog at the same time. “Okay, you win.” I said. “What you have is a curse.”

“Told you.” she said.

No comments:

Post a Comment