Wednesday, September 2, 2015

SPIRIT ANIMAL

Once again I was out on my back porch first thing in the morning, enjoying my cup of tea when my son Alex came out to say, “Good morning.”
“You're not going to believe the morning I've had already.” I said to him as he sat down next to me.
“Has it been good?”
“More then good!” I said in a hushed tone as I pointed to the hummingbird at the feeder. “He's the fifth spirit animal I've seen this morning.”
“Spirit animal?”
“You know, when an animal comes around and does something unusual.” I explained. “It's a way for someone who's passed to let you know they're thinking about you.”
Alex looked at the hummingbird, then back at me, with a confused looked on his face. “First of all, he's a bird.”
“Still an animal.” I said.
“Second, he's eating out of a feeder you filled with sugar water so he'd come here.” Alex looked back at me. “How's that unusual?”
“I don't mean when he's eating.” I said. “He's been landing on the railing of the deck just looking at me before he even goes near the feeder.” I explained. “That's the unusual part.”
“He's probably just wondering if you'd changed the sugar water lately so he doesn’t get poisoned.” Alex answered with a laugh.
“Very funny.” I looked over at the two butterflies fluttering by. They landed on the back of one of the chairs. “Now how do you explain that?” I said pointing at them. “They've been hovering around here all morning, too.”
Alex looked over past the deck and pointed to the Black-Eyed Susan. “Didn't you say that butterflies love those flowers?”
“Yes, but they aren't on the flowers.” I argued “They're just hanging around on the deck next to me!”
Alex just nodded but didn't say anything.
I was beginning to get frustrated that he was doubting all the visits I'd been having.
Just then a dragonfly landed on the table next to us. “There!” I cried. “He's been around all morning and I don't have a feeder or plant that he likes!” I said. “So that proves it!”
Alex just shook his head. “It only proves that we have a lot of things flying in our backyard and landing on our deck.”
“I can't believe you won't see the beauty in knowing a loved one is stopping by to see you.” I said, shaking my head in disappointment. “What animal would you have to see to finally believe someone from your past wanted you to know they were thinking about you?”
Alex didn't take very long to think about it. “A sea turtle.” he stated.
“Wow.” I said as I thought about it. “That's pretty rare, I don't think I've ever seen one except in an aquarium.”
“No, not in an aquarium.” he corrected. “I mean if I saw one in the back yard. That's when I'd believe someone from my past was trying to say 'Hi'.” Alex got up to go inside but he stopped to pat me on the top of the head. “I'm a realist.” he reminded me then leaned down and gave me a quick kiss on the cheek. “But I do love hearing about the fantasy world you like to live in.”
As I heard the kitchen door close I couldn't help but feel like I was seven years old again and someone had just told me there was no Santa Claus.

I still don't believe that one either!

No comments:

Post a Comment