Saturday, September 19, 2015

SELFIE FAIL

Annamarie, Adrienne and I were sitting around after work discussing our day when I suddenly remembered I'd been wanting to ask Adrienne a question for some time.
“I saw your selfie on facebook.” I said to her.
“Which one?” she asked.
I had to laugh because she did take a lot of selfies. But I couldn't blame her, she had some sort of selfie magic, they all seemed to come out great. “You know the one of you paddle-boarding out on the river? It was a great shot!”
“Oh thanks!” she said and smiled. “That was a fun day.”
“So how do you do it?” I asked.
“Do what?” she asked looking a bit confused.
“Take an adorable selfie?” I asked. “With all of your other selfie's I just thought you took dozens and dozens of pictures until you got the right one. But when I saw the one of you out on the water I knew you couldn't possibly be taking that many shots. Not while you're balancing on a board hoping your phone doesn't fall in the water.”
She laughed again.
“So do you have a special selfie app that helps take a great picture?”
“No.”
Now Annamarie jumped into the conversation. “So how do you do it?” she asked.
“Do what?”
“Take a great selfie!” we said together.
“I don't know!” Adrienne was still laughing. “You just hold the phone up and take a picture!”
I couldn't accept that answer. “I've tried that method but no matter what angle I hold my phone I seem to be looking up my nose!”
She started to laugh. “You need to hold the phone up higher.”
“I have!” I cried. “But when I hold it up too high the picture is of me squinting or it looks like I smell something bad!”
“Me too!” Annamarie agreed. “The squinting part.” she added, looking over at me, “Not the smelling something bad part.”
“Whatever.” I said shrugging my shoulders. “Can't you just show us how it's done?” I asked again.
“Are you serious?” Adrienne still sounded baffled.
“Yeah!” I felt as if I'd cornered her and was finally going to learn all her picture snapping secrets. “Just take a selfie now.” I dared her.
She shrugged her shoulders. “Alright what do you want me to take a picture of?” She was holding up her phone scanning the room with it.
“Anything you want.” I was watching her, thinking I should be taking notes, but so far she wasn't doing anything I hadn't already done myself. Her arm was out as far as it would go, the angle of her face wasn't any different then what I'd done so, now I was beginning the get confused.
“So you hold the phone up, look for the background you want and snap the picture.” She smiled, pushed the button and snapped a shot of herself. “It's not that hard to do.” she said as turned the phone around and showed us her perfect selfie.
I stared at that perfect picture for some time. “That's just great.” I finally said sadly as I looked at Annamarie. “I don't know about you, but I felt a lot better about myself when I thought she was taking dozens of pictures and just posting the best one!”
Annamarie nodded in agreement.

“Now I feel like I'm just a complete selfie failure!” I looked at Adrienne still holding her phone out to me, her perfect selfie shot still staring back at me. “Thanks for that!” I said as sarcastically as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment