Saturday, September 26, 2015

FABRICATED TWIN

I grabbed the phone to make a quick call to my younger sister, Donna. After a few rings she picked up. “You're never going to believe what I was just asked?” I laughed.
“I couldn't even guess.” she said.
“Someone wanted to know what my twin was up to!”
“Oh, my gosh! I haven't heard that question in years!” she cried.
“I know!” I shouted. But the excitement soon faded from my voice. I paused for a moment before I continued. “Now, I have a question for you.”
“What?” she asked.
“Why did Mom want to make us look like twins?”
The reason I called my sister about this is because I don't have the photographic memory my sister seems to have. Donna could tell you what the cafeteria ladies' names were when we were in grammar school. She can remember what they served every Friday and where every grade sat to eat! I, on the other hand, can't tell you who my third grade teacher was.
“We're only fifteen months apart, and we were the same size and height for so many of those years, I just think it was easier for Mom to buy two of everything.” Donna explained. “She never dressed us exactly alike. Don't you remember she'd get us the same outfit in different colors?” I could tell she was trying to gently nudge my memory.
“I guess I kind of remember.” I said, but I was lying.
“Don't you remember those plaid skirts she got us? You had the green and I had the blue. We always wore them with the white ruffle shirts.”
“It's coming back a little.” I could see us wearing the plaid skirts as we ran down the driveway headed for the school bus.
“How about the A-line dresses she'd get us? Don't you remember the one with the sailboat on the front?” Donna asked.
“Oh my gosh!” I cried. “We both hated that one!”
“See? Now you're beginning to remember.” she said.
“Wow! I don't know how you do it!” I said. I had nothing but admiration for her memory.
“Well, actually I cheated on this one.” she admitted.
“How do you cheat on a memory?” I asked.
“Remember a few years ago I took Dad's old slides and had them made up into photo albums for all of us?” she said. “When you first called I went and got mine out. I have to admit, when I look back at pictures of us we did look a lot like fraternal twins.”
“So are you telling me that we can't blame Mom for playing the whole twin thing up?” I asked.
“We did look pretty cute dressed alike.” Donna admitted. “Go get your photo album out and see for yourself.”
“No, thanks.” I said. “I kind of like the memory I have Mom making us look stupid as twins, not cute.”
“Suit yourself.” Donna said. “But now that we're older I think you might appreciate how cute we looked as “twins”.
“Wait a minute!” I cried. “I remember now! That horrible sailboat dress we both hated! Wasn't I the one who always got stuck wearing it?”

Donna laughed. “See your memory's coming back!”

No comments:

Post a Comment