Saturday, August 15, 2015

PUTTING WIZ

Steven decided it was time to take me out to the golf course. I'm not sure it mattered if I wanted to go or not. I also couldn't put up much of a fight, because we'd both been complaining that we didn't spend enough time together. We'd been searching for some activities we could find a common interest in. Even thought I was pretty sure golf wasn't going to be one of those interests, I was going to have to at least give it a try before I said no.
That's how I found myself standing behind several golf cars with a golf bag strapped to my back trying on an old glove that Steven had pulled out of the bottom of his bag.
“Where's the other glove?” I asked as another golf cart pulled up behind us.
“You only use one.” he said as he turned me around and readjusted the bag higher up on my back.
“Why aren't we using a cart like everyone else?” My bag was already beginning to get too heavy, but I didn't want to start the day out complaining, so I decided not to mention that.
“Plenty of people walk this course. It's a short one and the walk is great exercise.” he explained as he handed me two golf balls and a few tees. “Put those in your pocket so you won't waste any time searching for them when it's your turn.”
By now we'd made it up to the front of the line. A man in a golf cart, holding a clip board, pointed to the two men sitting in a cart behind us and said. “You four are up next.”
I turned to Steven, not sure I'd heard correctly, but Steven had already turned around to introduce himself to our new friends. Of course, being the only female the men were nice enough to let me go first. I slowly walked up the stairs that led to the first hole.
“I have to let you both know I've never played before.” I apologized to them as I bent down and tried to poke me tee into the hard ground. Steven hand me a club and I took my first wild swing.
“You hit it!” Seven said, trying to sound encouraging as we watched it skip a few feet in front of me.
“Well, that was fun.” I said as I tucked my club back into the bag, hiking it back only my back and stepped out of the way to let the others drive their balls so far down the fairway I couldn't see where they'd landed.
The gentlemen climbed back in their cart and drove the few feet to where by ball was. I bent over and picked it up.
“You're not going to hit it again?” they asked.
I looked behind me, watching as another foursome was getting set up to play.
“That's okay.” I said tucking the ball back into my pocket. “I'll just drop the ball when we get closer to the green.”
“She's going to work on her short game today.” Steven explained to them.
“Oh, good idea.” they said before they drove away to find their own balls.
Steven looked over at me and smiled. “It's a beautiful day for a walk.” he said.

I tired to readjust the weight of the bag on my shoulders before I looked over and gave him a big smile in return. “It's sure is!” I said as I began my hike, thinking about how nice it would be to be laying on the couch right now watching a re-run of just about anything on the Entertainment Channel.  

No comments:

Post a Comment