Wednesday, August 26, 2015

MAKE-UP TIPS FROM A FIVE YEAR OLD

Steven and I were at a “Cousins Party' and while we were sitting in the backyard catching up on the family news I couldn't help but notice all the youngest cousins running around having fun.
I was feeling nostalgic, missing when my guys were that little as I watched the group of guys, fourth grade and younger, throwing the football to each other. Than they raced to the front of the house to play basketball before coming back to watch a game of horse shoes. They were just a whirlwind of motion. It was exactly how I remember my boys being at that age and I couldn't help but smile.
But then I noticed the little girl cousins. They were all first grade and younger walking around the back yard each holding an umbrella to shade themselves from the sun and humming songs. I wasn't sure what they were playing until one of them came close enough for me to peek under the umbrella. That's when I notice the blue eye shadow all over her forehead. I looked over at her Mom, who was sitting next to me, “Is someone doing face painting?” I asked her.
“No they're practicing putting on make-up.” she answered.
Now, I raised boys, so I missed the make-up phase.
But, I was also raised by a Mom who never wore make-up, except for some red lipstick when she wanted to feel like she'd gone to some trouble. I never even saw make-up until I was in middle school.
I wasn't quite sure how I felt about little girls and make-up at this age. But then another one of little girls came by and I was caught off guard when I realized she'd done a pretty good job with her application. She'd chosen a pretty bold color palette but the eye make-up was where it was suppose to be and so was the lipstick and blush. I was impressed.
“She did a pretty good job.” I said to her Mom.
“She loves playing with make-up.” She answered. “She's not allowed to go out wearing it but around the house,” she shrugged her shoulders. “What's the harm?”
As everyone moved on to another conversation I could help but flash back to my first experience with makeup. It was middle school and it had been a nightmare!
I always wondered how those girls from middle school, who came in looking fabulous from the very first day wearing makeup, did it. They made all the rest of us look like recent graduates of Clown School. I'd always assumed they had some gift at putting it on. But now I realized it was because they'd been able to practice years before it was acceptable.
Maybe my Mom hadn't made the right decision about the no make-up rule. Maybe I still wouldn't be struggling with trying to get mascara on without accidentally painting my contact lens. Maybe I would know the difference between wearing eye shadow in a cat's eye shape or a smudge. Maybe I would have cared if I'd just started earlier!
I couldn't believe I was actually looking at a five year old at this very moment and wondering how she got her lipstick on so perfectly. I was just about to ask her if she used lip liner first when I realized: I was about to ask a FIVE year old for make-up tips!

That's when I quickly got up from the table. “I'm going in to get a drink.” I announced. “Does anyone else want anything?”

No comments:

Post a Comment