Tuesday, August 11, 2015

BAT PATROL

My husband, Steven and I were sitting on our porch enjoying a quiet evening. “I love dusk.” I said. “I think it's my favorite time of day.” I leaned back in my chair, watching as some lighting bugs began to flicker in the bushes.
Steven sat beside me and swatted a mosquito off his leg. “It's too bad that it's the mosquito's favorite time of day too.” he said as he brushed another one from his arm.
“Do you want me to get some bug spray for you?” I asked.
“No, I think I'll go in before I'm eaten alive.” Steven got up, ready to head inside when something caught his eye in our back yard and he walked out there instead.
“Come here a minute.” he called to me as he looked up in the sky.
I followed him out and looked up too.
“Do you see it?” he asked.
“The bird?” I said as I watched it swooped down close to our fire pit.
“It's not a bird. It's a bat.” Steven said.
I instantly felt a shiver run up my back. “How can you be sure it's a bat?” I asked.
“By the way it's flying.”
“Isn't it too early in the evening for them to be out?”
Steven swatted another mosquito off his leg. “Are you kidding? With all the mosquitoes around? It's their favorite time of day too.”
I watched as the bat swooped and dove down around our bushes. Trying not to be disgusted, I thought about all the good they accomplished with pest control. “I guess it's good to have a bat or two around.” I reasoned.
“Have you even watched how a bat's radar works?” Steven asked.
“No. How do you test that?” I asked.
Steven leaned down, found a small rock in the grass and tossed it straight up in the air. The bat headed towards the stone and followed it straight down to the ground, inches from where I stood. I screamed, covered my head with my arms and raced for the porch. “Why did you do that?” I screamed.
“Did you see how it pulled up at the last second when it got too close to the ground?” Steven asked.
“No. I was too busy making sure the bat didn't get tangled up in the hair!” I yelled as goose bumps popped up on my arms.
“Sorry about that.” Steven bent down and found another small rock. “I'll toss this one further away from us.” he said.

“Please don't!” I cried as I headed for the back door rubbing the goose bumps from the arms. “I’ve had enough bat fun for one evening.”

No comments:

Post a Comment