Saturday, July 18, 2015

ACCIDENTAL GARDENER

After cutting the tomato into wedges, I arranged them on a plate, grabbed the salt shaker and went outside where Steven was sitting on the porch.
“Would you like a slice?” I asked, holding the plate out to him.
“You cut up a cherry tomato?” he asked. He took the salt shaker and sprinkled it over the tiny slices. Then he scopped the slices together and popped them all in his mouth.
“I grew that myself!” I said proudly.
Steven nodded his approval while he finished chewing. “You mean it came from the poor tomato plant you never watered or touched in any way since you brought it home?”
“That’s the one!”
It had been a few weeks back that I'd gone to the garden center and brought home a half-dozen different kinds of plants. Sadly most of them hadn't made it.
“It s not like I do it on purpose.” I argued. I’d tried everything to remember to water them. I'd created gardening containers for the porch, placing them so close to the back door that I'd practically fall over them every time I went out. But it seemed I was always in such a rush coming and going that the porch containers didn't seem to be working for me.
So I tried indoor gardening. Bringing some of the pots in, I lined them along the windowsill in front of the kitchen sink, thinking I couldn’t possibly miss them while I was doing the dishes.
Well, it turns out that I don't look up much when I'm washing pots and pans. Once again, by the time I noticed that they needed water, they were so far gone that I'd dropped them in the trash with the dinner scrapes.
“But I've finally got a harvest now!” I said as I proudly looked over at the shriveled leaves on the one plant I'd left of the porch where two more cherry tomatoes were ready to be picked.
Steven walked over to the plant to take a closer look. “It's amazing that these grew at all.” he said as he touched the bone dry dirt.
“I know! I seem to have finally found the perfect plant for me! One that can take care of itself!”
Steven looked back at me. “You know these tomato plants are suppose to have dozens of tomatoes on them.”
“Of course I know that.” I answered as I lovingly touched the two that remained. “That's what makes these so special. If they can grow in these conditions they much be hearty and full of flavor.”
Steven took the salt shaker from me. “You know, I used to love going in my grandfather’s garden, picking them right off the vine and popping them in my mouth.” He reached over to pick of the the last two.
“Wait a minute!' I cried, stopping him. “I'm making a cucumber and tomato salad with those tonight!”
“That's going to be a pretty small salad.” Steven said doubtfully.

“Not when it's going to be mostly cucumber.” I answered, then smiled.

No comments:

Post a Comment