Thursday, June 25, 2015

Beautiful Bunnies

It was a beautiful morning and I was enjoying it by sitting on my back deck. While I was sipping my tea I noticed four bunnies munching away on the clover flowers.
“Steven, you have to come see this!” I called to him through the kitchen window.
Before Steven could come outside another little bunny came hopping over from the yard next door to have breakfast in our yard.
“Is it me, or are you noticing that there are more bunnies this year than years before?” I asked him.
“There does seem to be more around this year,” Steven agreed. “But it could also be that our lawn needs to be cut and we have more for them to eat right now.”
I looked at our neighbors' yards and could see that our lawn was a few inches taller.”I'm glad you're keeping it a little longer for them.” I said.
Steven started to laugh.”I'm not keeping it longer for the rabbits,” he said. “I just don't have the time or the energy to keep after Max or Alex to cut it!”
“Well, I like looking at a yard full of happy bunnies.” I seasoned. “Maybe we should keep the lawn a little longer for them.”
“The boys will be happy to hear that.” Steven said as he went back to getting ready for work. “But I'm sure the neighbors won't be very happy.”
By mid-afternoon I heard the familiar sound of the lawnmower starting up. I headed for the front door and saw my son Alex had already cut a big portion of the clover patch in front. I raced out the door, waving my arms for him to stop.
“What are you doing?” I called.
He stopped the mower and took the ear buds out of his ears. “What's the matter?” he asked.
“Why are you cutting the lawn?”
Alex looked confused. “I promised Dad a few days ago that I'd do it and I never got around to it until now.” he said.
“We've decided to keep the lawn a little longer for the bunnies, so they have something to eat.” I informed him.
“Dad said that?” Alex asked looking even more confused.
“Okay.” I admitted. “It wasn't your Dad's decision. It was mine.”
“So you don't want me to cut the lawn?”
I looked at how tall the grass had gotten. Then I looked over at the neighbor's yard and felt a bit guilty. “Maybe you could just cut the grass around the clover patches and leave the clover flowers alone.” I suggested.
Alex just stared at me.
I have to admit, at times like these I do get tired of the boys looking at me as if I were losing my mind.
“All right, I guess that would look ridiculous.” I admitted. “Why don't you cut the front lawn and skip the back yard. They can eat the clover back there.”
“Fine by me.” Alex put his ear buds back into place and restarted the mower.
I walked back to the front door, wondering how I was going to explain this to Steven when it had already taken him days to get the boys to mow.
I went out on my back deck and looked at the half a dozen bunnies munching away. “You guys are going to have to eat a little quicker.” I said. “I don't know how long I can hold out on the mowing for you.” I hadn't noticed my other son, Max sitting in one of the chairs.
“Who are you talking to?” he asked.
“The bunnies.” I said pointing to our clover patch.

Max looked at the bunnies and then back at me. “Do they talk back to you?” he asked.

No comments:

Post a Comment