Friday, June 15, 2018

WHO CARES? I DO!



“I'm so embarrassed!” I cried as I came into the house and tossed the bag with my new shoes on the chair.
Steven came out of our bedroom. “What happened?”
“I ran into someone I haven't seen in a while looking like this!” I swept my hand up and down my torso. “Ripped jeans that are clearly not a fashion statement but just a hole worn at the knee! A tee shirt that I'm probably going to be sleeping in tonight, if I don't spill anything on it at dinner! A sweatshirt that's missing the little toggle thingy that zips it up! Glasses, not contacts, no make-up, and because it's rainy out my hair's frizzed out like a clown!”
“Oh, come on. You don't look that bad.” Steven went back into our bedroom, while I followed him. I'd caught him in the middle of cleaning out his closet.
“Thanks. But I know you're just being nice” I grumbled. I sat down on the bed watching him look through his shirts.
“Hey, I've seen your hair twice that size when it's really humid out.” Steven smiled, but I wasn't in the mood for joking around.
“It was so embarrassing.” I just shook my head. “There I was bending over trying to get a shoe on when I hear my name being called. I look up, my hair's in my face and there she is, looking all put together while I look like this!”
“I'm sure she didn't notice.” Steven pulled some shirts out of his closet and tossed them on the bed.”
“Oh, she noticed!” I sighed. “Women judge each other. It's what we do. I could see it in her eyes as I was apologizing for looking the way I do.”
“You apologized?” Steven looked confused.
“Of course I did. I didn't want her to think I always go around looking like this! I was hoping to counteract the judging!”
“Did it work?” He began going through his sock drawer tossing the older socks on the floor next to the garbage bag.
“It was too late. She judged me.” I laid back on the bed and threw my arm across my eyes. “It got even worse when I broke out in the sweat! I had to keep mopping my upper lip with my sleeve.” I couldn't help but groan.
“Why'd you go out dressed like that if it's bothering you so much?”
“Because I dressed for a home day. I wasn't planning on going anywhere. But then I remembered I needed shoes for that dress I'm wearing next weekend and I just ran out not thinking.”
“Well, there's a valuable lesson in there somewhere.”
I sat up on the bed. “A valuable lesson?”
“Never leave the house without looking in the mirror and thinking someone out there will be judging you.”
“Says the man with a stain on the front of his sweatshirt.”
Steven looked down. “Oh I had soup for lunch. I must have spilled some.” He continued sorting out his clothes.
“Aren't you going to change?”
“Nope. I'm not planning on going anywhere.” He looked over at me and smiled. “But if I do I'll look in the mirror before I go.”
“You're a funny man, Steven. A funny man.” I said as I laid back down on the bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment