Friday, March 9, 2018

THUNDERSNOW



I walked into the house stomping my feet to get the snow off my boots. “I'm home!” I called as I brushed off the heavy snow from my coat.
“You're home early.” Alex said as he came out to meet me.
“They closed the school early.” I hung my coat on the back of the chair to let it dry. “I can't believe how hard it's coming down!”
Just then a flash of bright light lit up our front window. “What was that?” Alex and I moved closer to the window when we heard to rumble of thunder. It seemed to go on for a very long time.
We looked at one another. “Have you ever heard of a thunder storm and snow storm at the same time!” Alex asked as we heard another rumble in the distance.
“No!” I shook my head. “But it's amazing!”
I picked up my phone and went to Google to look it up. “It's got a name!” I cried. “It's called Thundersnow.”
Alex laughed. “Wow! They really used their imagination naming it!”
I kept scanning the feed. “It says that it's a really rare occurrence.” I looked over at Alex and shrugged my shoulder. “Well, that has to be true because I'm old and I've never heard it before.”
Another long rumble could be heard in the distance when my husband walked in the room. “I'm glad they let you out early.”
“It's thundersnowing!” I cried. “You know how much I love a summer thunder storm but thundersnow is really amazing!”
We all looked out the window as the nor'easter blew heavy snow that was coating the trees in a thick blanket of white.
“It's really is beautiful.” I said.
Alex and Steven both looked at me. “You hate the snow!” Steven said. “You groan every time they mention snow in the forecast!”
I held up my finger to stop him for a moment. “That's winter snow.” I said. “Everybody hates winter snow. But this is soon to be spring snow.”
Alex shook his head and laughed. “What's the difference?”
I looked back out the window to see a car slowing making its way past our house. “Winter snow is depressing because it seems to stay forever.” I explained. “But soon to be spring snow, falls and starts to melt right away.” I turned around to look at them both as I clapped my hands together excited at my new discovery. “But now that I know there's a chance for thundersnow in the spring I'm going to say it's my new favorite weather event!”
Alex shook his head. “No matter what time of year it comes, you still have to shovel it.”
“Not if it's sunny and warmer out tomorrow. It'll just melt!” I cried.
Alex smiled “You heard her!” he looked at his Dad. “No more shoveling for us this winter!” Alex began walking to his room.
“Wait! I said if it was sunny out tomorrow!” I called after him.
“Did I just hear more thunder?” he called back to me before he closed his bedroom door.
“What!” I raced back to the window stopping the listen. “Ahh, man. I missed it.” I looked over at Steven.
Steven shook his head. “You didn't miss it.” he started to laugh. “Alex was just trying to distract you from the shoveling conversation.”
“Oh, he's good.” I whispered under my breath.

1 comment: