Friday, March 23, 2018

ENDLESS WINTER



“I can't.” I sighed, “I just can't.” My forehead was leaned against the glass at the back door. Outside the snow was coming down harder by the hour.
Steven came up behind me. “What are you up to today?”
I looked outside. “Clearly nothing.” My bird feeder was swinging in the wind, not a bird in sight.
“Don't you usually like to bake on snow days?” Steven looked over at the counter and picked up the box of cake mix. “Oh, spice cake!” he put the box down. “Alex's favorite.”
“I know, but all this snow is making me fat.” I sighed, I turned around and went over to the refrigerator and got the eggs. “It wasn't so bad at the beginning of winter. I felt like I had some time to drop the pounds before spring.” I looked down at my oversized sweatshirt and baggy sweatpants. “But bathing suit season is just around the corner and I'm running out of time. I can't afford another snow day!” I pulled a bowl out of the cabinet and got the mixer out of the drawer.
“So make the cake for Alex.” Steven reached into the silverware drawer and got me a spoon. “No one says you have to eat a piece.”
I looked over at Steven and rolled my eyes. “We're snowed in and a cake will be sitting on the counter in about an hour. I don’t have superhuman powers!” I poured the mix into the bowl, adding the eggs and applesauce then turned on the mixer. “I'm going to wind up getting bored and eating cake.” I sighed as I filled a pan with the mix and popped it into the oven. “I might as well resign myself that I won't be wearing a bathing suit this summer.”
Steven looked confused. “I haven't seen you in a bathing suit in years.”
I shrugged my shoulders. “I'm not really a beach person, and when I do go I never take my coverup off.” I shook my head. “But that's not the point!”
Steven looked out the window, the snow was still coming down. “Well, maybe you'd like to help me shovel out.” He turned around and smiled at me. “It's a great workout!”
“Fine.” I sighed. I set the timer. “As soon as the cake is done I'll come out and help.”
“I'm not going out there now.” Steven laughed. “I'll wait until it stops.”
“But that's not suppose to happen until tomorrow morning! How am I suppose to work off the cake I'm going to be eating today?”
“I don't know what to tell you...” Steven shook his head as he went into his office.
I decided maybe a few sit-ups and squats were in order while I waited for the cake to be done. I pulled out my yoga mat and turned on the television. As I did a few stretches my show was interrupted for a snowstorm update. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. “Are you kidding me!” I yelled at the weather forecaster.
My son Alex came into the room. “What's wrong?” he sounded concerned.
“There could be another snowstorm coming after this one!” I cried.
“It's spring.” Alex patted me on the shoulder. “They melt the next day.”
“That's not the point!” I cried.
Alex turned his head and took a quick sniff. “Is that a spice cake I'm smelling?”
“It is.” I sighed. “And apparently I'll be making brownies for the next one.” I complained as I started to do my squats and watched the forecast.

No comments:

Post a Comment