Friday, December 22, 2017

ALREADY UNDER THE TREE


I was in our laundry room, busy wrapping some last minute gifts, when my husband Steven came into the room. “How's it going in here?” he asked as he looked over my shoulder to see what I was wrapping. I'd set up my wrapping station on my ironing board.
“I'm almost finished.” I said as I went through my ribbon box to see what I had left. “Of course, I said I was almost finished a week ago but then I keep remembering just one more thing.” I sighed.
“Speaking of one more thing, is there anything special you want for Christmas?” he asked. “It's been bothering me for days. I've got a few small things for you but I can't come up with anything that says 'Wow'.”
I looked over and could see how concerned he looked.
“Don't worry about it.” I reassured him as I pulled out a red satin spool of ribbon. “You already got me a really nice Brighton set.”
Steven looked confused. “I did?”
“Yup.” I unraveled the ribbon watching it pool on the floor until I was ready to snip the length I wanted. “A couple of weeks ago, remember?”
“No.” He was leaned against the dryer trying to remember. “What's a Brighton set?”
“It's a brand name. They make purses and accessories.” I looked around for the scissors. “You got me a necklace, earring and bracelet set from them.”
“Did I order it on-line?” He was shaking his head. “I can't believe I don't remember.”
“You were going to but I wanted to pick it out myself.” I twisted the ribbon around the box. “We talked about this a few weeks ago when you couldn't think of anything to get me. I was headed to the mall so I told you I would pick it up.” I'd tied a knot in the ribbon. “Can I borrow your finger for a minute?” I stepped to the side so he could hold down my ribbon while I made the bow.
“Well, did I pick out a nice set?”
“It's beautiful.” I leaned over and gave him a kiss. “You have very good taste.”
“Can I see it?” he laughed as he looked around the laundry room where I'd been stashing the presents that needed to be wrapped. “I'd like to see what I got you before Christmas morning.”
“Sorry but it's already ready wrapped and under the tree!” I smiled at him as I looked around for a name tag for the gift I was wrapping.
“You had to wrap your own present?” Steven shook his head. “That's just sad.”
“No.” I said quickly. “The store offered free wrapping so I thought I'd save you the trouble.”
Steven leaned back against the dryer again. “Well, I have to say it was an easy shopping year for me.”
I held up my wrapped package. “I'm glad.” I headed for the living room with the gift. “Another one ready for under the tree.”
“Oh good, maybe you could point out the one I got for you.”
“Sure.” I put the new gift under the tree then picked up my gift from the front of the tree and handed it to him. “You wanted to see how they gift wrapped it?”
Steven took the tissue paper filled gift bag and peeked inside. “I want to at least know what the package looks like so I can hand it to you on Christmas morning.”

I smiled as I took the bag from him and placed it back under the tree. “You're very thoughtful.”

No comments:

Post a Comment