Friday, June 30, 2017

LEMONADE STAND


Alex and I were driving into our development when we both spotted the lemonade stand set up down the street. Two little girls, both holding signs, were waving and calling out to us.
“Should we stop?” I asked Alex.
“Sure, an open pitcher sitting out in the hot sun for who know how long sounds like a great plan.” Alex turned his head to me. I was pretty sure he was trying to avoid making eye contact with the girls as we drove past.
I took a quick glance at the pitcher and noticed that it was uncovered and that there was no ice floating in it. “Wow! You've got good eyes spotting that so far away.”
Alex shrugged.
“I just feel bad for them.” I said as I looked in the review mirror and saw their sad faces looking at our car driving away. “Remember how excited you were when you had your lemonade stand?”
Alex laughed. “When did I have a lemonade stand?”
“Are you kidding me?” I couldn't believe he'd forgotten. “It was in January and you set it up in our living room!”
Now Alex was really laughing. “January? Why did you let me do that in January?
Now it was my turn to be surprised. “Let you? Are you forgetting how determined you get when you get an idea?”
Alex nodded and shrugged his shoulders. “How old was I?”
I thought about it for a moment. “I'm going to say around three.”

Alex shook his head. “I must have needed some money for something.” He looked over at me again. “Did I get any customers?”
Now it was time for me to laugh. “You had plenty because while you were dragging your Little Tikes picnic table into the living room I was on the phone calling all our friends and neighbors to come over so you wouldn't be disappointed!” I looked over at him and smiled. “You looked so cute sitting at your table patiently waiting for your customers.”
“Thanks for making that happen, Mom.” He patted me on the shoulder. “I guess when you're three you don't think about a marketing plan, huh?”
I smiled as I pulled into our driveway and put the car in park. “Hey, that's what Mom's do.”
Alex was quiet for a moment. “Well, now I feel bad about not stopping at their stand.”
“I can fix that too!” I smiled as I put the car in reverse and backed out of the driveway.
Alex laughed, then looked a bit concerned. “We don't have to really drink it do we?”
“Of course not.” I shook my head. “You just smile and say you're going to drink it in the car then we'll get rid of it when we come back home.”

Alex reached into his pocket and pulled out a few bills. “In that case it's on me!”

28 comments:

  1. nice post, really enjoyed reading it! I loved how you went back for the girls, it's so kind of you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for reading this piece Lana, I really appreciate it!

      Delete
  2. Ahhhhhh
    That's such a a good deed, and it's about principle.
    And proves to the girls there are good people out there who will buy there lemonade.
    Good on u

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Missybeelondon! It's hard to just drive by them isn't it?

      Delete
  3. Aww this is such a sweet story. I really enjoyed reading it. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading Crocheting Mom! I really appreciate it!

      Delete
  4. How adorable of a story... precocious 3 year old, I would say! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading Sylvie! I really appreciate it!

      Delete
  5. Such a cute post! Thanks for sharing :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading Hira! I really appreciate it!

      Delete
  6. Such a cute and meaningful post.A heart touching story.People like you have restore my faith in kindness and humanity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm honored to have restored your faith! Thanks so much for reading, I really appreciate it!

      Delete
  7. Such a wonderful post I enjoyed reading it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading, I r appreciate it!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for reading, I really appreciate it!

      Delete
  8. You have an interesting way of telling your story! Thanks for a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great piece! I love reading fast fiction like this. Thanks for sharing your writing and I look forward to reading more.

    Kimberly
    www.brunchandgloss.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimberly! I appreciate you reading my pieces I hope you do come back to read more!

      Delete
  10. You seem like a very good writer. Have you ever considered putting your stories on Wattpad? Might work there too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks nelu96! I hadn't thought about Wattpad, but I will now! Thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  11. Great post Kathy! It's funny how we forget some childhood memories that stay with us a lifetime. You could turn this into a really neat piece on failing to have a marketing plan... it's great the way it is, but that would be one way to take it to the next level. I definitely enjoyed the read! Nicely done :)
    Meg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meg! Failing to have a marketing plan is exactly how my son related to it! 😂 thanks for reading!

      Delete
  12. Really enjoyed reading your piece. Great writing, nice way to start my day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Cecil! Glad I started your day in a good way! Thanks so much for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your writing style. This story is so cute and have a hint of kindness.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Kristal! I'm glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete