Friday, January 27, 2017

READING DEJA VU

All day long I'd been looking forward to climbing into bed to start the new book I'd just gotten. It was by one of my favorite authors. I loved the crazy situations she came up with, followed by twists and turns I'd never expect.
When it was finally bedtime I was almost giddy.
Steven was already in bed, his phone propped up on a pillow in front of him, playing a hand of poker. Oh course, I could never understand how playing a game or two of poker before going to bed was any way to relax, but hey, to each his own.
I snuggled deep under my covers, adjusted my pillows, and opened my new book. After reading the first few pages it seemed oddly familiar. I looked over at Steven. “You know it's crazy but I feel like I could have written this book myself.”
Steven laughed. “What do you mean?”
“Well, you know when you're watching a movie and you know what's going to happen before it does.”
“Yeah.”
“Well, that's how I feel right now.” I was feeling a little disappointed. “This author has never been so predictable.”
“Hmm...” Steven mumbled.
I looked over and saw he was concentrating on a hand, which meant he probably didn't even hear what I'd said.
I went back to my book.
Two chapters later, I was really getting annoyed. “Oh come on!” I cried out. “Of course she was the one driving the car! She caused the accident!” I looked over at Steven. “It's like all these little hints are being missed by the other characters!”
Steven looked over surprised. “Maybe you're just better at picking up on the clues.” he suggested.
“Maybe.” I agreed. “But I was just expecting more from this writer. She's always been one of my favorites and now I'm disappointed.”
“Sorry.” Steven said, but quickly went back to his game.
I decided to start skimming through the pages. Catching familiar phrases and being annoyed that my favorite writer just wasn't being very original.
Then it finally dawned on me. “Hey!” I cried. “I know what's wrong with this book!”
Steven placed his phone on the nightstand and looked over at me. “What?”
“I've already read this!”
“What?”
“I finally just figured it out.” I had to laugh looking over at Steven and shaking my head. “Well, at least I'm not annoyed at the author anymore.”
“That's good.” Steven reached over and turned off his light.
I settled back into my pillows and started reading again.
“Aren't you going to turn out your light?”
“No, I want to finish skimming through the book.”
“But you said you already read it.”

“I did.” I leaned over and gave him a good night kiss. “But I still can't remember how it ends.”

No comments:

Post a Comment