Friday, December 16, 2016

VIRTUAL CHRISTMAS LIGHTS

I was sitting on the couch, tucked under a blanket and scrolling through my Facebook feed, when Steven came into the living room and sat down next to me.
“Check this out.” I said as I handed him my phone and gave him a piece of my blanket.
“What am I looking at?” he asked putting him feet up on the coffee table and draping the blanket over his legs.
“It's a really great Christmas display.” I tapped the screen to start the video.
We both watched as the synchronized music and light show began. The entire house began it's flashing light display while a rock band covered a pumped up version of Carol Of The Bells. I couldn't help bobbing my head along with the music.
Four minutes later, when the video ended, I looked at Steven. “Wasn't that great?”
Steven handed me back my phone. “It was pretty good.” he said.
“The house is only forty minutes away.” I said. “Let's go look at it.” I suggested.
Steven looked confused. “We just looked at it.”
“I know,” I was scrolling though Facebook again. “But I'm sure it's even better in person.”
“Really?” Steven didn't sound convinced. “You mean driving forty minutes to wait in the traffic leading up to the house, finding a parking space a dozen blocks away and walking in the freezing cold is going to be better than what we just saw?”
It made me stop for a minute, because he had a point. But then I got nostalgic. “Don't you remember how much fun we used to have bundling up the boys and putting them in the back seat with bags of snacks while we drove all over Monmouth County looking at the lights?”
“Sure, it was fun.” Steven said, taking out his phone and logging onto his Facebook account. “But that was before everyone posted pictures of their decorated houses.” He scrolled though his feed. “One of my clients posted this great shot.” He handed me his phone to show me the house. It had lights in every tree and bush in the front yard. The entire house was outlined in lights and a full sized Santa was standing at the front door ready to welcome all their holiday visitors.
“Wow, that's really great.” I handed him back his phone.
“I know! They had a company come in and put all the lights up. It took them two days to get it all done.”
We were both scrolling though our feeds, looking for more houses, when Alex came into the room. “What are you two up to?” he asked.
“We're traveling around the county looking at everyone's Christmas lights.” Steven and I both held up our phones to show him. “Want to come with us?”
Alex looked over our shoulders to see. “This is how you look at Christmas lights now?”
“Sure.” Steven said. “No traffic, no freezing cold weather. What's not to like?”
Alex looked over at me. “What about the snacks and hot chocolate after? That used to be the best part.”
“That's a great idea!” I got up from the couch and looked at Steven. “I'm going to make some hot chocolate. Do you want some?”
“Sure.” Alex and Steven said together.

I handed Steven my phone. “Show Alex that great one I showed you with the music.”

1 comment: