Friday, August 19, 2016

ONE IS A LONELY NUMBER

“Did someone eat the half of a bagel I'd saved?” I called as I stood in front of the bread cabinet holding a container a vegetable cream cheese in my hand.
My son Alex came out of his room. “Were you saving that?”
“I was.” I'd been looking forward to having it for breakfast.
“Sorry about that.” he looked in the bread cabinet and pulled out a loaf of bread. “How about this?” he handed me the potato bread.
I held up the cream cheese. “Not the same on potato bread.”
“I'm sorry I didn't know.”
“It's okay, as long as you didn't throw it out.” I looked over at him, trying to read his expression.
“Why would I throw it out?”
“Because last week you threw out the one waffle I'd left in the freezer!” I put the potato bread away and went to the refrigerator to put the cream cheese back.
“Who eats only one waffle?” Alex asked.
“I do!”
“Well, I don't know anyone, but you, that eats just one.” he was shaking his head in disbelief, “Waffles should be eaten in pairs.”
“Says who?” Now I was shopping through the refrigerator to find something else to eat.
“Everyone!”
“I also eat just one pop tart.” I added.
“I know. That drive me nuts, too! You stick the one back in the box in a zip lock bag.” He was leaned up against the counter, watching me forage. “They put a pair of them in a foil pack for a reason.”
“Well, you don't throw the one pop tart out.” I pulled out the eggs and put them on the counter.
Alex shrugged his shoulders. “It bugs me, but I figure you'll be back for the other one in a day or two.”
“So why did you throw the one waffle away?” I'd gotten out a pan, getting ready to scramble an egg.
“That one waffle was in the freezer for almost two weeks.”
I looked over at him, “So? I wasn't in the mood for a waffle.”
“So,” Alex reached in the drawer behind him and pulled out the spatula and handed it to me. “Every time you went grocery shopping you must have looked in the freezer, saw the box, and figured we didn't need any.” he smiled at me. “I figured if I got rid of the box you'd finally buy more waffles so I could have some.”
I cracked the egg against the side of the pan and dropped it in. Alex reached in the carton and pulled out two more eggs. “I only eat one egg.” I smiled at him. “I'm weird that way.”
He was still holding out the eggs. “I know, but I was hoping you'd make me some too.”
I had to laugh as I took the eggs from him. “Can you make the toast?” I asked.

“Sure,” he went back over to get the bread. “One slice?”

1 comment:

  1. Love the story. Where I live we don't have hummingbirds but you're the second person recently to say what bullies they are.

    ReplyDelete