Friday, April 22, 2016

LITTLE BELLS

I was picking up some flower pots, that I'd thrown behind the shed last fall, when I noticed something wonderful. “Steven, come quick! You have to see this!” I called to my husband who was busy spreading grass seed over the bare patches in our lawn.
“I've got my hands full at the moment.” he called back as I watched him drag a bag of lawn repair from one spot to another.
“I'll come to you.” I said as I hugged the black landscaping pot in my arms and triumphantly walked over to him. “I've finally gotten my lily-of-the-valley to grow!” I announced as I held the pot out to him as proof of my green thumb.
“How'd that happened?” he asked as he looked in the pot at the green leaves that were already a few inches tall. I was proudly pointing to the tiny flowers that were tucked between the leaves ready to make their appearance.
“Well, I'd like to say it's my fabulous gardening skills.”
Steven started to laugh.
“But,” I glared at him to get his laughter to stop. “I think they just needed another year to finally get established.”
“Lucky for them.” he said going back to him seeding. “I thought you threw them out last fall.”
“I thought I had too.” I said as I shrugged my shoulder then looked back in the pot. I was remembering how annoyed I'd been last year after spending hours on the phone trying to find a garden center that sold lily-of-the-valley. When I'd finally found someone who'd gotten a shipment their center was over an hour away. I'd driven up to them on a cold, rainy day and took the last three pots they had left. But after tenderly tending them all spring and summer they only produced huge leaves. I never saw any of the fragrant flowers!
“I'll admit I was pretty disgusted with them last year.” I said looking back at the flowers that were one of my childhood favorites. “I'm glad my idea of throwing them away had only been tossing them behind the shed.”
“Always a good gardening move.” Steven said as he dragged the garden hose across the lawn and began watering the new grass seed.
“So where should we plant these?” I asked as I looked around the yard for the perfect spot.
“What do you mean we?” he asked. “Why don't you plant them?”
“Well,” I tried to sound encouraging. “You've always been better at the yard stuff then me.” I gave him my biggest smile as I held the pot out to him.
“Nice try.” he tugged at the hose that seemed to be caught on something. “The trowels are in the the shed.” The hose untangled itself and he was once again watering the grass seed. “Do they need sun or shade?” he asked.
I looked back in the pot. “Oh great.” I sighed. “The little tag thing is missing! Now how am I suppose to know what they like?”
“You could always call the garden center or just Google it.” Steven suggested.
“I'll just put them back behind the shed until I find out.” I reasoned as I put them back where I found them and headed for the house.
“Where I'm sure they'll spend a lovely spring!” Steven called after me.

I had to smile. He knew we well.

No comments:

Post a Comment