Friday, February 19, 2016

SWEET DREAMS

I was showered, dressed and ready for another hectic day at work. My lunch was packed, my car was warming up and I was just smoothing out the comforter on my bed when I patted my pillow and said, “I'm going to miss you.” I sighed as I took one last wrinkle out of the covers. “I'll be counting the minutes until we're together again.”
Just then Steven came out of the bathroom. “Ah.” he said. “That's so sweet. I'm going to miss you too!”
He'd startled me. “I didn't know you were in there.” I said.
Now Steven looked confused. “You didn't?” He looked around the room. “Then who were you talking to when you said you were going to miss them and that you'd be counting the minutes until you were together again?” I could hear a slight annoyance in his voice.
I patted the bed. “I was talking to my side of the bed.” I smiled but I felt a little silly getting caught talking to a mattress.
“You were talking to the bed?”
I shrugged my shoulders. “What can I say...you know how much I love to sleep.”
Steven laughed. “I sure do. You can do ten hours on a weekend without a problem.”
“It's not ten hours.” I corrected. “I might be in bed for ten hours but I'm up and down so many times during the night that I'm really only getting six or seven hours of actual sleep.”
Steven didn't look convinced. He looked back at the bed. “I know how much you love to sleep but I didn't know you talked to the bed like that.” He looked a bit hurt. “When you say good-by to me in the morning it's usually with a quick kiss and you asking if I'm going to be home for dinner.”
“I'm sorry.” I said, I felt so guilty. I looked at the clock and could see I was now running late. I went over to him to give him a quick kiss. “I'm going to miss you.” I said. “I'll be counting the minutes until we're together again.” I smiled at him. “Does that make you feel better?”
Steven shook his head as he looked at me. “Not when I know you said it to the bed first.”
I wasn't sure how I was going to make it up to him. “What if I stopped at the store after work and got whatever you wanted for dinner tonight?”
“Whatever I want?” Now he seemed interested.
“Sure.” I said. “You'll beat me home so you can already be in your sweats relaxing on the couch and have full control of the channel changer when I get in.”
“That sounds nice.” he said.
“So we're good?” I asked, as I glanced at the clock one more time. “No more hurt feelings?”
“That depends.” he said.
“Depends on what?” I asked.
“What I decide I'd like for dinner tonight.” he said. “I'm going to have to give this some thought.”
“Seriously?”
“Hey, I don't get to choose the dinner menu very often.”
I looked at the clock one more time. “I'm going to be late.” I said grabbing my purse and heading for the door. “Text me when you decide.”
“I will.” he called as I closed and locked the front door.

As I walked to the car, thinking about the hours I'd just added to the already long day I had ahead of me, I made a very important decision. That was the very last time I was going let him catch me talking to the bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment