Sunday, December 13, 2015

SHOPPING HELPERS

“I'm going to the mall to get some shopping done!” I called out to no one in particular as I grabbed my purse and headed for the door.
“Hey, I wanted to pick up a video game for Max.” Alex called. “Can I come with you?”
“Sure, if you hurry. It's going to be a madhouse there today.”
As Alex was getting his shoes on, Steven came up from the basement. “Did I hear you say you're going to the mall?”
“Alex and I are both going.” I answered.
“Great. I'll come with you.” he said.
“Did you need to get something?” I asked.
“No. But I'm not doing anything right now so I might as well come along.”
Now I know that this might sound like a fun family outing to some people. But when I need to get shopping done I'm not the “the-more-the-merrier” type of person. I really just wanted to run to the mall, grab a few thing and come right back. But now, with my helpers coming with me, I'd have to re-adjust my thinking.
As we got closer to the mall the traffic got heavier. “I wonder if there's even going to be a place to park?” Steven said, sounding doubtful as we inched closer to the mall's entrance.
“It's that time of year.” I tried not to sound impatient but knew Steven wasn't one for crowds. “You have to figure it's going to be packed.” After circling the parking lot a few times I finally found a spot and pulled in.
“Let's get the video game for Max first.” I suggested.
Weaving our way through the crowds, we made our way to the video store and then waited patiently on the endless line for our turn at the counter. Once the video game was purchased I could see both my guys were done with shopping. So, I wasn't surprised to hear their groans when I told them I had several stores to go to for all the things I needed to get.
Thankfully, that's when I spotted an empty couch in the middle of the atrium. “Why don't you two wait there while I finish shopping?”
“Sounds good to me!” Steven headed for the couch with Alex right behind him.
Once the boys were settled I began to get some serious shopping done. After each store I'd head back to the couch, hand them the bag and head off in another direction.
When I had the final thing marked off my list I went to collect my guys. There they were with all the bags I'd piled around them, deep in a conversation.
“Are you two ready to leave?” I asked.
“Wow! You're done already?” Steven seemed surprised.
“I have to thank both of you.” I said. “I have to admit that I was dreading this shopping trip with you two, but there's no way I could have gotten all this done without you.”
Steven and Alex looked at one another. I'm sure, at first, they thought I was kidding. But as I began loading their arms with all the bags that I'd stacked around their feet they realized I wasn't.
“Hey, anytime.” Alex said as I handed him another bag to carry.
“No problem.” Steven said a I loaded his arms with the rest of my purchases.

I had to smile as we all headed out to the parking lot. It was the first time I'd ever done a huge shopping trip and was able to walk out of the mall the exact same way I'd walked in – just carrying my purse!

No comments:

Post a Comment