Saturday, December 5, 2015

HOLIDAY OVERLOAD

I looked around my house and smiled when I saw all that I'd accomplished getting ready for the Christmas season. The tree was up and the inside of the house was completely decorated.
But it was the list of all the things that still needed to be done that had me feeling overwhelmed. There was a lot more to do before the “magic” of Christmas was ready to happen. I sighed as I thought about that long list and did what I think anyone else would do when faced with that much work.
I laid down on the couch to take a nap.
I smiled again as I tucked my favorite blanket around me and closed my eyes. I could hear someone in the kitchen making a snack, while the others were playing video games, laughing and having a good time.
It wasn't long before the house got strangely quiet. I was almost ready to doze off when I heard my husband Steven and my two boys, Alex and Max, whispering in the dining room.
I strained my ears to hear what they were talking about.
“Do you thinks she's asleep?” Max asked.
“Looks like it.” Steven confirmed.
“Do you think she's going to make dinner tonight?” Alex whispered.
“I don't know. It's getting pretty late.” Steven answered.
“Do you think she's going to make Christmas cookies this year?” Max asked.
“Not a clue.” Steven said.
“Aren't the presents usually wrapped and under the tree by now?” Alex asked.
“Yup.” Steven answered again.
“What do you think has happened this year?” Alex asked.
“I think she just got busy with other things.” Steven answered.
I had to try and not smile at that one. I kept my eyes closed, enjoying their conversation, wondering where it was going to go.
“I saw the Christmas cards on the coffee table the other day.” Alex said.
“She asked for a roll of stamps.” Steven added. “So the cards got done.”
“Who cares about cards.” Max complained. “I'd rather have her bake cookies then write out Christmas cards.” I tried not to smile as I pictured Alex nodding in agreement on that one.
“Maybe we should help her?” Steven suggested.
There was no answer for several moments. I tried not to move, wondering who was going to answer that one first.
“What could we do?” Max sounded confused.
“Yeah.” Alex agreed. “It's not like either of us are going to do any baking anytime soon.”
I could hear Max laugh.
“I'm not talking about baking.” Steven said. “Maybe see if she needs help with the gift wrapping.” Steven suggested. “Or we could offer to do some of the shopping for her.”
Those suggestions were met with more silence.
Finally Alex made his own suggestion. “Maybe we could make dinner tonight?”
Max quickly added, “By make, you mean order out, right?”
“Sounds good to me.” Steven said. “One of you get the take-out menus.”
“I say pizza.” Max said.
“What about ribs?” Alex added.
I smiled as I got more comfortable. They just found the perfect way to help me. Now I had, at least, forty-five minutes to actually get a nap before dinner came.

I'd have to remember to thank them when I woke up.

No comments:

Post a Comment