Saturday, October 3, 2015

JAMMIE TIME

I was just getting all snuggled up on the couch wearing my sweatpants, tee shirt and an oversized sweatshirt – what I like to consider my pajamas – when Steven walked in wearing the same thing.
“I guess we both had the same idea.” he said as he sat down on the couch and picked up the television remote.
“I love this time of day.” I said as I pulled the afghan off the arm of the couch and wrapped it over my legs. “I've done everything I needed to do today and now I can relax for a few hours before it's time for bed.” I listened as the wind howled through the trees making me pull the afghan up closer to my chin.
“It's my favorite time of the day, too.” Steven said as he began surfing through the channels. “Do you know there are days when I actually get up in the morning and count how many hours I'm going to have to be in my work clothes before I can run home and change into my sweats and do just this?” he said.
“You're preaching to the choir.” I said as I adjusted the pillows to get more comfortable.
Steven finally settled on a program on the Discovery Channel, that's we'd only seen a few times before, when our son Alex walked into the room.
“Do you want to go get your sweats on and get ready to settle in for the night with us?” I asked him.
He looked at Steven and then back at me. “Do you two realized it's only three o'clock on a Saturday afternoon?”
“Sure we do. That's what Saturday afternoons are for.” I said, moving my feet to make room for him to sit. “I'm hoping to get in a good nap before I have to start making dinner.” I added.
Steven smiled over at me. “A nap sound great.”
Alex shook his head and laughed. “I'm going over to the mall to catch a movie with some friends.”
I listened to the wind howl outside. “Are you sure you want to go out in this weather?” I asked. “It's miserable out.”
“It's not that bad out.” he said as he held up my car keys. “Can I take your car? Mine's out of gas.”
“Sure. It's not like I'm going to be using it anytime soon.”
“I can see that.” he gave us both a kiss on the top of our heads before heading out the door.
I sat up and looked over at Steven. “Are we pathetic?” I asked.

Steven shrugged his shoulder, Maybe.” he said looking for another show to watch. “But at least we're warm and dry and pathetic together.”

No comments:

Post a Comment